There are three
main reasons why you should consider Your-site
hosting for your business
1. First of all, the site’s ownership is accessible. You
know where management and staff live, so to speak.
Unlike other hosting sites, which don’t seem to want you
to know where their headquarters are, Your-site’s
contact info is easy to spot. You don’t need a
magnifying glass to locate the address, phone number and
e-mail. Click on Support and there it is, right under
Contact. (The company is located in Hinsdale
Massachusetts, by the way.)
2. Management boasts “superior customer service”, and
quite a few glowing commentaries from clients back this
3. The graphics are
cute. An elegantly coiffed grandma with a persnickety
expression and a kid with a goofy grin are examples.
All right; those were carrots on a stick. Let’s check
into the core offerings and see if the nuts and bolts
hold up, too.
• The price? It’s affordable. For $5.00 per month their
OnePlan package is currently the only plan available,
but it’s all you’re likely to need. And the Your-site
team uses the very tools they sell--their site is served
off the main customer web server. How’s that for the
ultimate in testimonials?
• Your-site has something called free domain parking. If
you’ve purchased your domain but won’t be putting your
site up right away, you’ll be able to take advantage of
• Your-site helps you buy or lease a domain by
recommending a few registrars for this purpose. The cost
is anywhere from $10.00 to $35.00.
• If you haven’t decided on a domain name, Your-site has
a free search tool. It will search .com, .net, .org,
.info and .us extensions. The site also has a name
wizard tool to help you conjure up a suitable name for
• Your-site provides 50 megabytes of disk space. This is
a huge difference from some sites which go all the way
up to 100,000 megabytes, but Your-site’s clients use 5
megabytes, on the average.
• The site offers 6 gigabytes of transfer space. That’s
enough for one-half a billion page hits a month. Now,
• Your-site has unlimited e-mail aliases to choose from.
You can also use 25 POP accounts or an SMTP relay access
if you’re on foreign shores. (SMTP is an underused
vehicle. With this feature, you use your regular e-mail
application but you don’t have to rely on your e-mail
account, or worry about spam filters eating your
• With unlimited E-mail forwarding, you can visit your
satellite offices from time to time.
• Your-site’s detailed stats and private logs provide
automated, detailed data reports which are updated
several times a day. If you need it, you have access to
the raw log file, as well.
• If you’re like most of us that rely on our website to
inform and market our services, you need your ftp client
to be at your finger tips. That’s why it’s a boon that
Your-site offers 24/7 ftp access.
• A cgi-bin option is offered. A cgi-bin is a directory
found on web servers which contains annotated links to
some of the best web programming, scripting, webmaster
resources and web development on the net.
• Your-site offers daily tape backups, just in case.
• The FrontPage 2000 extension means you won’t have to
tab back and forth to and from the icon on your desktop
when you’re editing your web page.
• RealPlayer Audio and Real Video lets your customers
hear and see what you want them to hear and see with
what many consider the best media player on the market.
• Your-site has 99.9% guaranteed uptime, which, if you
think about it, is a reassuring smidgeon away from 100%
computer uptime and, so, is hard to squabble over.
• A money back guarantee of 30 days says a lot about
Your-site’s confidence and reliability.
• Do you want to partner with a hosting site? If your
business can expand to handle hosting, you might look
into the discounts you would earn--both for yourself and
for your customers--by registering as a reseller. You
might reap the rewards of a wider market.
(By the way, with reselling, Your-site says they’ll have
no contact with your customers--if that’s how you’d like
it. On the other hand, if you don’t want to deal with
the billing end of it they can do that for you via their
• The owners are not marketing or business types.
They’re down-to-earth self-proclaimed UNIX and Network
geeks…and friendly. And that personal touch trickles
down. “I’ve been able to speak to a friendly, helpful
human being!” gushes one testimonial. “What a concept!”
• The Your-site management team has set up a lively
member forum. Over 3,000 informative articles have been
posted since 1996.
• The tech support number is not toll-free, but the
savvy rep you’ll reach is worth the few dollars you’ll
pay for the toll call. (If you can live with a 24-hour
response time on weekdays and a 48-hour response time on
weekends, e-mail is the preferred method of contact.)
• Finally, Your-site provides all the printable
forms your business is likely to need as it grows, and
account data changes. The forms include a credit card